About Action Research
Because environmental and social problems require community action, VIPIRG does community-based action research. As in activism, we choose research tools to fit the specific issue being explored and the research needs of the communities we are working with, rather than defaulting to a specific methodology (such as participatory action research) or method of collecting data.
Whatever the research design, all research conducted by VIPIRG staff, students, or volunteers must respect community values, Indigenous rights, and environmental and ecological standards. Our ethical guidelines lay out expectations for all students, staff, and volunteers involved in VIPIRG research projects.
VIPIRG staff are experienced activists who can provide student and community members working for social and environmental justice with information, training, and logistical support in campaign work. We’re always happy to bounce ideas around, help analyze a situation, discuss possible strategies and tactics, or otherwise be a sounding board. In addition:
- All VIPIRG members have access to the films, books, and magazines in our resource library.
- We can book UVic rooms and equipment for meetings, community gatherings, film showings, or other events that are sponsored or co-sponsored by VIPIRG. (Rooms are free, but UVic charges for use of equipment.)
- Staff and volunteers can help with event logistics planning and promotion.
- Members working on VIPIRG projects have access to our computers, printer, phone lines, fax machine, and digital camera, and a low-cost button-making machine.
- VIPIRG working groups get seed funding ($300), a page on the VIPIRG website, an email address, and assistance setting up a listserv.
Proposing a new initiative
Students and VIPIRG community members are encouraged to bring ideas for social/environmental justice events, projects, or ongoing campaigns to VIPIRG. The VIPIRG coordinating collective considers proposals year-round. To propose a new ongoing campaign, event or project, please fill out a sponsorship application.